Sunday, November 16, 2014

Attitude of Gratitude, Day 15

November 15: What tech tools are you most grateful for? Why? How have they changed what you do?

I am most grateful for learning management systems (LMS), particularly Moodle and Schoology. I have completely changed how I teach, because the LMS has become my classroom. Since 2009, my high school classes have been "conducted" on either Moodle or more recently, Schoology. I post the daily agenda, have assignments available, conduct discussions, and so on, using a blended or hybrid model of instruction. My classes are held daily, but all of the information regarding work is online and available 24/7. What I like is that all of the information is easily available to my students, and the age-old question of "What did we do yesterday?" is easily answered. I like having students submit work electronically, and produce projects online, but I'm available to answer questions and provide clarification for the kids before they leave my class. My students are encouraged to manage their time, and the Schoology site has a calendar so they can do that. I earned my master's degree online, so this environment is very comfortable for me, and I sincerely believe that many of my students will be working in online environments in college. I want them to be ready! One of my former students contacted me during her first year of college, and was thrilled that she knew how to work in an online course - her teacher was expressing concern since it was his first experience! Score!!

No comments: