Thursday, November 6, 2014

Attitude of Gratitude, Day 6

November 6: Share a quote or verse that has inspired you and tell us why.


Yesterday in my Attitude of Gratitude blog post, I mentioned that I was thankful for Gary Larson and his Far Side cartoons. This quote is my favorite of all of his cartoon lines. It may seem that this quote could be construed as somewhat negative. Poor Hal - is he a potential victim? He does, after all, have that target right where a deer might not want one.

I don't interpret this cartoon that way at all. I see it as more of a cautionary tale. Do we have to be a victim? No, we don't. Can we take charge of our own life and make things happen, things that others might not ever expect? I believe that to be true. Frankly, when I hear victim-talk from people, either kids or adults, this cartoon comes to my mind every single time.

It would be interesting to see how Hal could solve his problem; perhaps some creative make-up, or a sweater or something similar. I'm a big proponent of people figuring out how to solve their problems, to take responsibility for themselves. Is Hal going to always be a victim? Only Gary Larson knows...

I told you I had a Far Side sense of humor, and it turns out, a Far Side sense of life. I'm good with that.

No comments: