Sunday, November 23, 2014

Attitude of Gratitude, Day 22

November 22: What are your family traditions you are most grateful for?

I am not sure we have too many family traditions. The ones that come to mind are among birthdays. I always make my husband a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, he always makes my pineapple upside down cake. We've been doing this for years. I also began singing "Happy Birthday" to the family who don't live nearby. My son is usually in another state during his birthday, and has often been on a fire in his job on a Hotshot, or wildland fire crew. I will leave a message on his cell phone, and know he'll check it when he's off the line. My sister and brother-in-law live about five hours away, so I always call, and often end up leaving a singing message on their phone. I used to call my mom and sing when she was alive. I'm not the greatest singer, but my singing is sincere, and I'll keep doing it. I sometimes even get a song on my birthday - bonus!

The other tradition we have is we have a living Christmas tree. Living in the Pacific Northwest, we are surrounded by trees, and we've cut out share of trees and brought them home. The are great things about living trees, though - they aren't that big, you can use them for more than one year (but not much more - they get too heavy to bring in!), and the best part is they get planted in the yard. Right now we have three trees in our yard which started out as our Christmas tree, and we have one at our cabin in central Washington which will be our tree for it's second year, and end up being planted in the yard. It got a little stressed with the heat this summer, but it will do. I love the idea that we aren't wasting a tree, and it's pretty cool to have them on our property.

Well. I didn't think we had traditions, but I guess we did.

No comments: