Monday, November 24, 2014

Attitude of Gratitude, Day 24

November 24: What are your dreams for education in the future?

Tough question. Education seems to be in turmoil these days. It's so political, so confrontational, at least on the national level, that it often seems the kids have been forgotten. For better or worse, I follow the Badass Teacher Association on Facebook, and I realize how very lucky I have been over the years. While it sometimes seems that the Olympic Peninsula is in the Land That Time Forgot, at least I have been able to do my job, and am trusted to do my job to the best of my ability without a lot of judgement and/or interference.

My first dream for the education in the future is that this trend of blaming and punishing teachers end, and that teachers regain, or perhaps just gain, the respect that teachers should have. We are not always respected. There have been teachers who are misplaced in the profession, who are unprepared, can't manage their classrooms, and so on, and I guess there always will be. However, most teachers go into education from a sincere desire to help kids to be their very best, and to prepare them to be productive citizens. We aren't in this profession for the money, not by a long shot, and the perception of the summer off, well, most teachers I know are reevaluating what just happened, and looking forward to the next school year.

I'm lucky enough to have been in education long enough to watch things change. From the Iowa Tests of Basic Skills, to the Washington Assessment of Student Learning to Common Core State Standards, I've seen the focus change from learning, and enjoying learning, to better test scores. It seems that the test has become more important than the learning! It's crazy! We may eventually turn out great testers, but where will the people be who enjoy art and music, and who love to read for the sake of reading a good story?

My second dream is that non-educators would back off, and let us, the professionals, do our jobs. The rich guys, who like to toss money to change what they see as a failed system, need to respect what we do. Or, maybe they could toss their money into ways to solve poverty, lack of housing and jobs, and other socioeconomic issues that complicate the lives of children who should be learning, but might be more concerned with basic needs such as food and shelter.

My third wish is that somehow Home Economics would be brought back into schools. We are teaching kids who have no idea how great it is to cook a tasty meal, sew something to wear that fits and is attractive, and don't understand how creative these things can be. My school got rid of Home Economics twenty-five years ago - what a mistake. Shop classes need to come back - both of these vocational courses fill a need, give needed skills to kids, and are fun. It is very satisfying to create something from scratch; when do kids get to do that anymore?

Those are my wishes.


No comments: