Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Attitude of Gratitude, Day 25

November 25: What would you like to let go of?

I might like to let go of lots of stuff that I think have gotten in the way at times. I am critical. I am outspoken. I am honest. I am sarcastic. I am qualifying this list with might, mostly because all of these traits or faults or whatever someone wants to call them have their place, and frankly they are useful at times. Looking at things analytically can come off as critical. People who are threatened by honest words don't like it - I know that. I've joked in the past that I have a disease - the Tumor of Truth, and my husband basically says that if they don't want an honest answer, they might think about asking the question. I honestly don't know what I want to let go of, but I think I'm working up to letting go of my job. Oh, that's kind of radical, you might think, but I've been doing this for almost forty years in the Very. Same. Place. I've seen kids, teachers, staff, and administrators come and go. Right now I've been in the district for the longest time, and I was even referred to as "an institution" at Open House. I had mixed feelings about that one! My problem is, I am having trouble letting go, because I feel as though I am doing well as far as teaching goes, and think I have more to contribute. New ideas in a place are always good, because it's easy to get in a rut, get stale, and not make changes that are necessary. A constant barrage of new ideas, though, with nothing put in place for things that have been removed just feels shaky, and I would love to let go of that feeling. Will I let go of my job and move on? Only time will tell....

No comments: