Monday, November 17, 2014

Attitude of Gratitude, Day 16

November 16: What is the most powerful aspect of being a connected educator? What are you grateful for?

The most powerful aspect of being a connected educator is the connections. I've always worked in relative isolation, since I'm the only librarian at the school. Since the schools in my area have basically eliminated school librarians, which increased the isolation even more. My first social network was, and still is, Plurk. I began connecting with other teachers and librarians. I have made friends on Plurk, which have transferred to Facebook. On Facebook, I have my regular friends, and I have my teacher friends. The Educator's Lounge, started by a virtual friend, is a place where resources are shared freely. I have been introduced to resources and ideas that I might not have found otherwise. On Google+ I am part of a small, closed group which started as a place to share health and fitness concerns, but has changed into a small support group for women who are encountering the lumps and bumps of life. And now because of this blogging challenge, I've become more active on Twitter. An instructor I had in a class on virtual instruction called Twitter the best connection teachers can make. What has amazed me is that I feel as though I know these virtual friends! I think, no, I know, we would get along in real life! We have so much in common; a desire to work with kids the best way we can, a willingness to try new things in the classroom, especially with technology, and we have pretty good senses of humor. I'm in! Now, we just need to find a central place to meet. What state is right in the middle of the United states...?

2 comments:

Barbara Day said...

Iowa! Iowa is right in the middle of the United States. We can all meet at my house. I feel the same way. In fact sometimes I share things with my virtual friends that I would never tell my face to face friends.

Tracy Fitzwater said...

That was my thought, too!