Sunday, November 9, 2014

Attitude of Gratitude, Day 9

November 9: What is one way you could develop the Attitude of Gratitude in your classroom or school? Try it out and let us know how it went in a couple of weeks.

Last year I began a series of Gratitude Boards on Pinterest. One of my former students, who is a very positive person, as well as a life coach, had mentioned the idea on her blog, and I thought I would try it. I figured I could keep it up for a month, and I liked it so much I kept it up for the entire year. I missed very few days, and I enjoyed thinking about my day, what stood out, and what I wanted to share. Pinterest is a good source of a lot of stuff, and while I sometimes had to think about what I wanted to choose to represent my day, I usually managed. I started again on November 1, calling the board November Gratitude 2. I know that I can't use Pinterest at school - it's blocked, which does not inspire gratitude, by the way, but I think I could do a paper version.

My high school kids could use a bit of positivity. I think what I will do is extend to offer to come up with one positive thing they can think of that happened the previous day. I have a couple of ideas. For the first one, I have a circulation desk with a broad wood front, and kids stand in front of the desk while they check out books. I know that kids would like to read the messages. Check this out:
That looks simple enough, doesn't it?

And then there is this idea:
I have a bulletin board with a tree - I add leaves, flowers, bugs, etc. throughout the year. This would be a good place for a fall gratitude tree.

I have a couple ideas - I'll let you know what happens...

No comments: