Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Attitude of Gratitude: Day 4

November 4: What was the nicest gift that you received from student/parent/colleague?

I really had to think about this question. Over time, I've received a lot of gifts, mostly very small and personal things. Kids draw me pictures, and I always put them up in my office. I had a middle school girl, a new kid this year, bring me a very brightly colored picture that was a collaborative effort; her mom drew the picture, which was a goose in a library, and she colored it. Of course I hung it up right away! It was such a sweet gesture. I still use a Dr. Seuss coffee cup given to me by a student who was in my class the one year I taught fourth grade - he graduated two years ago. One mom kept me in very decent chocolate bars when I had her oldest son; I think she figured I needed the boost! A girl I had gave me a small piece of beading she wove - it's a nice piece of work, and one of her first pieces when she first began learning the craft. I always feel honored when a student gives me something they created, and even more so when they make something especially for me.

The nicest gift, though, is friendship - whenever one of my former Crescent kids, either a library kid or a student I taught, sends me a friend request on Facebook, I accept. It is wonderful to see these adults, my former kids, and how their lives have turned out. I appreciate the whole idea that I am let in to their lives, and see pictures of their kids and families. It is still amazing to me that adults remember me as a person who cared about them, and encouraged their love of reading and books. Honestly, I am humbled, and well as grateful for the reminder that what I do does make a difference in the lives of the kids I work with, and that as adults, they remember me as someone kind and encouraging. It kind of takes your breath away, doesn't it?

1 comment:

jacs63 said...

That's a lovely post. Thanks for sharing.