Sunday, November 2, 2014

Attitude of Gratitude - Blogger Challenge, Day 2

November 2: What is one small delight in the day that you always look forward to?

I look forward to students coming into my space. My second period class is U. S. History, and I have at least two students who come through my office to class instead of walking straight in. One of my boys, a chronic underachiever, started coming in announcing "Your favorite student is here!", much to my surprise. I had this kid last year, and he was not always my favorite. The first day he made this announcement, one of the girls, a tough little cookie, quickly countered with, "No, you aren't I'm her favorite student!" We quickly determined I could have one boy favorite and one girl favorite, and that's how it's been ever since then. The funny thing is, my Favorite Boy Student, who under-performs is just about all of his other classes, is pulling a B from me, and is bringing one more of his classes up to a passing grade. I'm not certain why this kid decided to work in my class (which he didn't do last year in the brief time he was in it), but I told him I would take it. I love the energy that comes into my room when the kids come in!

I also enjoy my primary library kids entrances. They are always so excited to be coming to the library, and I am told immediately that yes, the book came back, or no, it was forgotten. I'm also told when a book was wonderful, and that always comes with a great big smile. On the day before Halloween, when the kindergartners came in, they were wearing the coolest spider "hats" - a black headband with big paper eyes, and eight spider legs. They were pretty awesome hats, and everyone was so excited to come in with those bouncy legs going and scary spider smiles. This isn't the same hat, but can't you see those spider legs bounding?!How can you not love something like that?! That is more than just a small delight!





1 comment:

Learning and Teaching Buzz said...

I love the visual image of the spider hats bouncing in!
Isn't it fantastic when we can connect with the more 'challenging' students. It's so good they've found a connection with you. Loved reading this.