Saturday, September 20, 2014

The Blog Challenge that got away from me: Days 16 - 19

I was seriously afraid that this is what was going to happen when I decided to take on this blogging challenge. Ironically, as much as I value consistency in my classes, I totally lack it when it comes to this, and that's why I admire bloggers who are on it. I understand why they need to take a break, though. So with that in mind, here are days 16 - 19, and I promise I'll do 20 tonight.

Day 16: If you could have one superpower to use in the classroom, what would it be and how would it help?
The superpower I would love to use in the classroom would be the Healing Factor. This is defined as "the ability to heal rapidly and with greater finality from any injury." Although a character with this superpower is most likely healing from a physical injury, I am more interested in having kids heal from mental or emotional injuries, because those invisible injuries and scars are what impact them in the long term.

Day 17: What do you think is the most challenging issue in education today?
In my mind, the most challenging issue today is top-down interference of the federal government into the public schools, including the Common Core State Standards. The issue I have is not the standards themselves, but rather the way they have been shoved down education's throat, as well as dollars that are attached to the movement. In Washington state, where I live and teach, we lost our waiver because the legislators refused to cave in on including adding student test scores to the new TPEP evaluation system. That waiver loss meant federal dollars needed to be shifted from Title I programs to programs designed specifically to "NCLB-prescribed remedies for low-performing schools, such as tutoring and school choice." In addition to this reallocation of funds, the majority of school in the state have had to send letters to parents saying that we are a low-performing/failing school. 100% of students are supposed to meet the standards set by the feds, including ELL kids, SPED kids, and other populations. The fact is we here in Washington have been making improvements in student growth and achievement, but apparently not high enough nor fast enough. I belong to a group on Facebook, BAT, the Baddass Teachers Association, and I am appalled by the stories that some of these people have to go through in order to just teach!!!! None of this is helpful for kids, and it's one of the reasons I will be glad to retire.

Day 18: Create a metaphor/simile/analogy that describes your teaching philosophy. For example, a “teacher is a ________…”
A teacher is a guide, who knows what the trail ahead looks like, knows what the potential pitfalls and problems might be, being ready to assist the student to reach their goal.

Day 19: Name three powerful students can reflect on their learning, then discuss closely the one you use most often.
I think this is supposed to read "three powerful tools", and that's what I'm going on.
1) Journals
2) Quick Writes
3) Questioning

The tool I use the most is Journals - I like to have students reflect on their learning at the end of any type of project, and explain to them that I do that all of the time. In fact, I am planning on redoing how I am presenting information in my U S History class, based on my experience with a new class, a new book, and a first chapter. I tell kids that if they can't reflect on and evaluate their own work, they will never do anything differently and will probably get the same results they have always gotten. I also want kids to think about more than just the product; I want them to think about the process. I got this from the Big6 Research Model/Process, and I believe it is a final step that is often missing in learning.


No comments: