Thursday, September 25, 2014

30 Day Blogging Challenge - Days 20 - 23

How do real bloggers do it?! I don't mind writing, and I enjoy blogging, but this has gotten away from me! Seriously!!

Day 20: How Do You Curate Student Work?
I will admit, I had to look this one up, so apparently I don't do this. I don't teach in a conventional classroom; my classroom is the school library. I flat out do not display student work, even though I know I should. I have done this before, when I taught elementary math (in the library), but since moving to high school classes, and essentially using an electronic classroom, I don't have a lot of paper. I am trying out Schoology, and I like not carting papers around. I need to figure out a way to display work, and I think that's going to mean having assignments that involve more than writing. But I like those creative projects, and this might be the way for me to switch things up a bit for more interesting learning!

Day 21: Do You Have Other Hobbies/Interests You Bring Into the Classroom?
I like to take pictures, and most of the presentations I've created have had some of my photographs on them. I also have pictures I've taken on my library website. My other hobbies don't really lend themselves well to what I teach, although I have used them in the past. I used to quilt, and I'd done a couple of math projects that involved geometry, so I've brought in quilt blocks I've made, mostly because they are geometry. I also use a lot of technology, including social media. Pinterest is something I like to use, and one project I did (before Pinterest got blocked at school) was to combine a six-word memoir with a six-image memoir on Pinterest. The kids loved it, and I'm afraid I did turn a few of them into Pinterest addicts. It was really touching for me to see their visual memoirs - so raw, in some cases, and always honest.

Day 22: What Does My PLN Look Like?
My PLN is online - Plurk. I was introduced to Plurk a few years ago, and have picked up so many wonderful ideas from the educators on that site. I also belong to a couple of educator groups on Facebook, and resources are always being shared there. We had a teacher at our school about ten years ago who wanted to start a PLN, but for some reason it never got going, and then he left to take another job. I've mostly had one or two other like-minded people who were interested in the idea of a PLN, but it was all very small and casual. Plurk has been the best resource for me lately. I have also dabbled in groups on Google+. I feel as though I've connected with some very good educators, and I would love to meet some of them in the future.


No comments: