Sunday, September 9, 2012

2012-2013 is here, ready or not!

Week One of the 2012-2013 school year is in the books. Thankfully, it was a four-day week, but that didn't make it any shorter. For me, the first week, and the first month, if I am honest, are long, long, long. I am always so tired, but that is natural after taking it easy for a couple of months, going on vacation to Jackson, Wyoming, The Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks, and generally hanging out at home. Suddenly, there is an alarm clock! And coffee waiting for me! And clothes that aren't jeans, yoga pants, or capri pants to put on! I'll admit - the first foray back into pantyhose was unpleasant, but they went with my outfit, so there you go...

Let me start with the positives. We have just had a large (for us) turnover in staff - six new teachers, as well as a new administrator. That is one third of our teaching staff - that is huge! The new teachers are nice people, dedicated, and looking forward to a good year. The vibe is different, and the middle school, where I somehow ended up, is completely changed up, for the better, I think. Our administrator is a man who believes in collaboration, communication, and likes to have fun. He wore jeans to school, which inspired me to buy a new pair, jeans being my preferred bottom. Our collaboration, which had been one giant staff meeting, is going to be truly collaborative. My teaching load has lessened, from three classes to one, and I like the one I'm teaching, which is psychology. My students are nice kids, and their first Moodle posts gave me a glimpse of what's to come. I have double the library time. And I will be eventually monitoring students in an online environment. The online school just happens to be one that I have looked at for future employment. This is a way to see how it all works.

Negatives. I am still kind of struggling with the fact that I am not retired, and won't/can't until 2014. We would like to pay off our house before we both retire, and that will be helped tremendously by my salary. I am hoping that I actually remember how to be a librarian who isn't in two-period-a-day, bare-minimum mode most of the time. I am searching for my enthusiasm. I am sure it will come back, but last week - not so much. Will I remember what to do? Can I entice teachers to utilize me to support their instruction? This is another thing I am struggling with. I am also now a high school teacher. I have technically been one all along, but now without the middle school teaching assignments, I really am one of them, and I am not sure how I feel about that. I suppose all of these things will work themselves out, but right now, I am thinking about them, probably a little bit too much. I tend to do that.

This is my thirty-fifth year in education. I am the certificated person who has been at our school the longest. How did this happen?! I guess it's a question that doesn't need to be answered, because it's another year to teach, interact with kids and staff, and try to be the best teacher-librarian I can be. So, whether I'm ready or not, 2012-2013 is here. Happy New (School) Year!

No comments: